One year Anthropologie sold a pair of pearl earrings that I lusted after. I bookmarked them hoping they’d go on sale, but they sold out at full retail. Ever since, I’ve had a will-not-go-away itch to recreate them.
I love pearls, but I also love labradorite, and when I found a stretchy bracelet of labradorite chips, I bought it immediately with just this pair of earrings in mind.
It then took year(s) to find a gold hoop that was the right mix of clasp-type, gauge, quality, and price. I found the hoop this weekend on sale at Banana Republic.
Done and done.
Filed under: projects
I got started on those six chairs and suddenly felt overwhelmed (more surface area than I realized!). To better deal with it, I broke the tasks down into smaller sets. Sunday I sanded off the glossy on three chairs, and revved up my enthusiasm to prime them. I pulled out primers leftover from previous jobs, a brush, a few folding tables to get the chairs up to a comfortable working height, and a drop cloth.
I learned, very quickly, that I had no, no interest in painting these chairs with a brush. Especially priming them with a brush. Primer dries super fast, and I could not keep the brush marks and drips from hardening. Definitely not the professional surface treatment I was aiming for. I like these chairs, enough to want to live with them for a while, so I don’t want a shoddy paint job.
Coupled with the outrageous-for-May temperatures outside, I quickly lost motivation. Time to regroup and rethink.
My rethinking is running along the lines of getting my hands on an airless paint spray gun. But I also know you can’t put solvent-based primers in them. Which makes me wonder how these chairs would handle not being primed, but being painted straight up. Lots of variables and unknowns floating around. We’ll see!
(Meanwhile, that blue is only leftover tinted primer and not the intended color for the chairs – but it’s kind of a fun color, isn’t it!?)
I’ve been using these $15-back-when-I-bought-’em folding chairs from Target as dining room chairs for a long time. Say, four years now? They’re fine and all, but eventually they break, and now I’m down to three, plus two sets of random chairs that definitely don’t go together (projects. of course. sigh). So when I volunteered to host a foodie meetup dinner at my house for twelve, I took a look at my seven mismatched chairs and decided they would not do.
Off to Craigslist.
Filed under: projects
Painted this two weekends ago and left it fumigating the dining room while I was gone for the holidays. I’ve placed it as my nightstand, but I think it’ll be for sale soon.
Finally got around to making my own sun jars this weekend. They’re so cute! The instructions at Not Martha are the best I’ve seen so far, as she goes into the whole “which lights should I not buy” routine, which is very helpful when standing in the middle of the aisle at Lowe’s faced with thirty rather expensive options. I got my Malibu lights for $8.96 each due to a pricing error, so look sharp and compare the prices between the displays and the shelves. If you find a discrepancy, they’ll honor the lesser of the prices.
I frosted in the inside of the jars rather than the outside, and I settled on epoxy to hold the panels to the glass and Blue Tak to hold the batteries to the panel. The epoxy worked pretty well, but the Blue Tak didn’t work so well on two of my four jars. In the future I’d use epoxy on all of it.
The jars are darling glowing in the early winter dusk, and I think they’d make great presents!
They will never let me be a famous design blogger because in my eagerness to share what I’ve been doing on a particular day, I frequently fail to properly stage my photographs. That, and ’cause I keep posting food…
Today I finished up some pillow covers for a friend that have been sitting undone on my dining table for the better part of two weeks. They’re nice. They have envelope closures and everything. Thus, I will blog them before they go away.